Wednesday 17 November 2010

Tests

So I have begun to model the projector. I want it to look similar to this:




I have had to restart modelling for this over an over again because I could not get the wheel parts to look exactly as I wanted them to. I had to also try lots of different methods (unsuccessfully I may add) which took a lot of time.

I have finally managed to get the face of the wheel as I wanted it but my next challenge is to make it into an actual wheel rather than a face of it. This is going to take a lot of thinking about because I tried just lofting the two faces together, but once it was smoothed so the wheel was a curve, the loft stayed very angular and did not work with the wheel.

Below is a picture of the finished wheel face without being smoothed:


The next thing I have done is some primary light tests for the projector. This was to experiment to see if i could create a light that made it look as though it was coming from the projector. I added some fog to the light to make it a bit more realistic. I looked on the internet for some tutorials to create light from a projector but all i found was a suggestion of using a spotlight. In the end I did use a spotlight and played around with the settings (this is how I stumbled across the fog attribute). I could not make a perfect square light which i found extremely annoying but this was a picture of my attempt:


 

I need to search deeper into how I am going to make it look like an actual projection but at least I now know how to make a simple one and I'm sure that if I experiment more, I will be able to produce something quite convincing.

That was my progress over the last couple of days anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment